Today was just another useless. day. I spent the whole afternoon reading the comments on JM's blog. I got a HUGE headache as a result. Who was the genius that invented black background and white letters?
Also, this morning, I finished my uncle's root canal. It was uneventful. Except for the fire I started. Seriously. As you may or may not know, you finish the root canal with that hot instrument inside the tooth, so you use fire. What you don't know is that ME + FIRE = DISASTER. So I set my counter on fire. Again. I use paper to cover the counter and as you know, paper catches fire easily. So there you have it. I don't know how it happened. It just did. Next thing I know I'm holding a gauze on fire and my finger hurts. So I trow the gauze to the floor. The floor catches fire too. I try to put it out with my shoe, but it didn't work. So I went to the sink, filled a glass of water and put it out. My uncle dealt with the counter and paper successfully. My office smells awful now. And the floor has a permanent mark. And I spent some time cleaning the place up. And I slipped in the puddle of water a couple of times before I finished him up and cleaned the place down. I left windows open, but there is still some smell.
You know, this is the second or third time it happens. Oh, yes. it is the third time. Once that thing exploded when I ignited it. I kid you not. It exploded. With a boom and everything. It left a big hole in my laboratory plastic cover. Funny how I was suddenly in the middle of 50 pair of eyes scared or amused by the stupid senior (yes, I was senior) that exploded the laboratory, oh yes, there were also a bunch of professors (some with a couple of PhDs
). The other time was in college too and was similar to this last experience. I'm actually used to this situation, so I didn't even panic this time... Is that a good thing?
There was this one time at the kitchen. I was removing the newspaper that was covering the wall right next to the frying pan (with the fire on under it, obviously). So I don't use that paper in that wall anymore. I think cleaning it up everyday is much safer. Especially for me.
I think it runs in the family. My cousin set her house on fire once. With an incense. She put it out (or she thought she did) then covered it with paper and went to spend the holiday in their beach house. They arrived there with a phone call saying that the fire department was in their place, and that the second floor was on fire. So they came back in. They say that it still smells after years since it happened.
My sister also nearly set our house on fire. With the hair straightener. She let it on over her bed. Luckily my mom smelled it and turned it off before anything happened.
So that's my story of how, not only me, but also the rest of the family, are always setting things on fire. Maybe I should be more careful when finishing up root canals (who said I didn't have a dangerous job?).